Highland Lakes Women's Club Bylaws
Highland Lakes Women’s Club
ARTICLE I – NAME
Section 1. The name of the club shall be Highland Lakes Women’s Club, Alpha Chapter.
ARTICLE II – PURPOSE
Section 1. The purpose of the club shall be to promote fellowship and a feeling of neighborhood pride within the Highland Lakes community; to promote beautification of our community.
ARTICLE III – MEMBERSHIP
Section 1. There shall be one class of membership, namely, active.
Section 2. The club shall be limited to single-family dwelling residents of Highland Lakes.
Section 3. The membership year and fiscal year shall be from June 1 through May 31.
Section 4. The club’s membership list is not to be used for the promotion or solicitation of any activity without the prior approval of the HLWC officers.
ARTICLE IV – DUES
Section 1. The fiscal year shall be June 1 through May 31.
Section 2. Dues shall be twenty-five dollars ($25.00) for active members per year payable at the first meeting of the fiscal year.
Section 3. New member dues are payable upon admission to the club. Individuals cannot participate on any committee of the club unless such individual has paid annual club dues.
Section 4. All money received from the club dues shall be spent only for projects of the club.
Section 5. Money received from club dues shall not be spent on alcohol for any club meeting or function due to legal ramifications.
Section 6. The books of the treasurer shall be audited at the close of each fiscal year and documentation made as to the standing of the club’s finances. The books will be audited by the incoming Treasurer and one other club member to be appointed by the current President.
ARTICLE V – ELECTION OF BOARD OF OFFICERS
Section 1. The officers of the club shall include: President, First Vice-President, Second Vice President, Secretary, and Treasurer.
Section 2. The Board of Officers are elected to serve one year and may succeed themselves in the same capacity if elected. The term begins with the fiscal year, June 1 through May 31.
Section 3. Should an officer resign her term of office before the end of the term, and an interim President cannot be named, The Board of Officers shall jointly fill this role until such time a new President is elected.
Section 4. Officers shall be nominated and elected at the last meeting of the fiscal year.
ARTICLE VI – DUTIES OF THE BOARD OF OFFICERS
Section 1. The President shall preside at all meetings. She will work with the board of officers in setting and monitoring the goals of the Highland Lakes Women’s Club. She shall also be responsible for approving committee chairwomen to each of the standing committees. She shall be ex-officio member of all Standing Committees.
Section 2. The First Vice-President shall coordinate club sponsored programs and social activities. She will also coordinate and work with the committee in the organization/updating and production of a neighborhood directory in years it is to be updated and reprinted. She shall preside over club meetings/activities in the absence of the President.
Section 3. The Second Vice-President shall work with the First Vice-President to coordinate club sponsored and social activities. This also includes the securing of homes to hold Highland Lakes Women’s Club meetings. She will also partner with the Hospitality Committee to arrange refreshments for meetings. She shall also preside over club meetings in the absence of the President and the First Vice-President.
Section 4. The Secretary shall keep and record minutes of all proceedings, conduct all correspondence pertaining to the club and keep an accurate record of all members. She will be the Administrator for the all HLWC related social media sites. She will coordinate with the Website Coordinator to help update the HLWC website as needed.
Section 5. The Treasurer shall handle all finances of the club, keep an itemized account of all receipts and disbursements, and pay out the same only on order of the President. She shall present a written report at each regular club meeting. She shall also keep accurate membership information.
ARTICLE VII – STANDING COMMITTEES
Section 1. The Standing Committees of the Highland Lakes Women’s Club may be organized as needed at the discretion of the Board of Officers.
Section 2. The Standing Committees include Hospitality, Community Outreach, Fund Raising, Beautification, Sunshine Committee, and Nominating Committee.
Section 3. Each Standing Committee shall appoint a Committee Chairwoman to lead the committee in performing its stated duties.
ARTICLE VIII – MEETINGS
Section 1. The meetings shall be held at 7:00 p.m. on the first Tuesday of the month. At least four meetings shall be scheduled each fiscal year. The months selected for the meetings shall be at the discretion of the officers. Meetings shall be held in members’ homes.
Section 2. Suspension of Club Meetings. In the event of an emergency such as weather related events, pandemics, and civil unrest, in-person club meetings may be suspended or be held virtually until it is determined to safely hold in-person meetings.
ARTICLE IX – AMENDMENTS TO BYLAWS
Section 1. These bylaws may be amended by two-thirds vote of the members present at a regular meeting. Amendments must first be reviewed and approved by the Highland Lakes Women’s Club Board of Officers. These changes shall be presented to the membership at least one month prior to a vote at a general meeting.
ARTICLE X – DISSOLUTION
Section 1. In the event of the dissolution of the Highland Lakes Women’s Club, Alpha Chapter, the Board of Officers will make a recommendation to the membership regarding the disbursement or use of remaining club funds. The recommendation shall be approved by a majority vote of all remaining members.
1. Special Projects Coordinator shall coordinate details related to the Highland Lakes Women’s Club Home Tour, Christmas and/or Spring Tours. She along with committee members will identify and secure the homes to participate and partner with the home owners, decorators, photographers, and volunteers to create a seamless event.
2. Website Coordinator will work with the club Secretary to help maintain and update the HLWC website.
3. Hospitality Committee: shall be responsible for coordinating food and drinks for the HLWC meetings. They will also be responsible for food setup and clean up for each meeting. The food should be kept simple.
4. Community Outreach Committee: receives nominations for all suggested charitable donations. They will be responsible for the vetting process of each charity. They will present the charities to the membership for approval.
Guidelines for charity nominations:
· Charities benefit women, children, or families in need, and veterans.
· Limited to local charities serving the Birmingham/Shelby County, Alabama area.
· Give favor to charities where our donation will make a significant financial impact.
· Charities previously selected are eligible to be nominated every three years.
5. Fund Raising Committee: will be responsible for presenting possible fundraising activities for our membership. These funds will be used as a donation to an approved charity voted on by the membership and/or beautification projects for Highland Lakes neighborhood.
6. Beautification Committee: will be responsible for presenting possible projects that will enhance the beauty of our neighborhood and will be beneficial to Highland Lakes residents.
7. Sunshine Committee: will be responsible for sending get well and sympathy cards to the members of HLWC. Committee members will be reimbursed for money spent on purchasing cards and mailing to HLWC members. To be reimbursed the committee member must submit the receipt(s) to the HLWC Treasurer. The Sunshine Committee is also responsible for administering MOM’S EXPRESS service that provides a meal for a neighborhood family with a newborn. Taziki’s restaurant currently provides the meals (for a family of 4) at no charge to the club. Someone from HLWC picks up the meal from Taziki’s and delivers to the family.
8. Nominating Committee: will be responsible for securing volunteers to serve on the HLWC Board of Officers.